I'm all about saving time - whether that be in the kitchen or at the makeup vanity. Check out my blog for some quick ways to save some time so you can stop and smell the roses - or stop and wipe the spaghetti out of your child's hair, all while still looking fabulous.

Monday, September 2, 2013

If you give a mommy a minute, she might show you how she gets the most out of her chicken...

Hello, fellow chicken lovers.  Who doesn't love a tender, juicy chicken?  This recipe is so good and just too easy for words.  It saves me money, time, and it's not terrible for me.  It's also super versatile and I'll show you how I also get tons of chicken broth to use for other recipes by cooking this one bird.




First, I make sure I have the following ingredients on hand:
A whole chicken
Butter or margarine (I prefer butter but either will do)
Carrots
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
*Onion - optional
*Mrs. Dash's Table Seasoning - optional

 This time around, I didn't use the real onion because I didn't have one on hand.

First, take the bird out of the plastic and just rinse it off. Some birds come with some inside parts. Mine did not, so all I had to do was rinse it. Then, I just set it in the crock pot while I get the rest of my ingredients ready.

 I take the rest of my ingredients and just get them ready. I cut up about 4 tablespoons or so of butter, rinse off a celery stalk and break it apart with my hands, and just open up all of the seasonings I use.


I turn the bird on its side and fill it with all of the seasonings (pretty generously).
I add a few slices of butter.
Then, I stuff in my celery and carrots (and onions if I have any.)

Next, I season both sides of the bird with all of my seasonings.

Once that is done, I place the rest of the butter on top.



 Put the lid on and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until the bird is falling apart.
This is what my chicken looked like after it cooked on low in the crock pot for about 5 and 1/2 hours.



 Once it is done, I take the bird out and cover it with foil and let it rest on a plate while I make whatever sides I want to make for dinner.

Left - bones, skin, etc. from chicken.  Right - delicious, tender meat

 I cut the meat off of the bird and serve it up!  After one night's dinner, I use what's left to make a chicken soup or chicken sandwiches for the next day.


Don't throw away the other stuff yet! 
 
 

Use the juices from the bird and all of the bones, fat, celery, etc. to make chicken broth in the crock pot. I simply return everything but the meat to the pot and add about 4-5 cups of water. I set the crock pot on low and let it cook all night long.
 
The next morning, I strain the juices into a big bowl and discard the rest.
 
 Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it cool in the fridge a while. I sometimes don't return to it for a couple of days.

 The fat will float to the top. I scrape this off and simply throw it out. What's left underneath is delicious, homemade chicken broth good for tons of recipes. I freeze it in 1 cup servings in ziploc bags.

You may notice that your broth is almost like a gelatin. This is completely normal. This is because it is homemade and all natural. It will melt as soon as it is warmed up.

I literally never buy chicken broth anymore. I use my all natural chicken broth all the time and I am never disappointed.

The chicken that just keeps giving:

Ingredients:
A whole chicken
Butter or margarine (I prefer butter but either will do) - about 4-5 T., but this is very flexible. Use more if you wish.
Carrots
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Onion - optional

Directions:
1. Rinse bird and take out insides (if included). Put bird in crock pot.
2. Pour a generous amount of all seasonings inside of the bird.
3. Add a few slices of butter to inside of bird.
4. Stuff bird with veggies.
5. Season the outside of the bird generously with seasonings.
6. Lay the rest of the butter on top of the bird.
7. Cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the bird is falling off the bone.

Chicken Broth:
1. Return everything to crock pot except for the meat.
2. Add 4-5 cups of water.
3. Cook on low all night.
4. Strain broth from the pot.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool in the refrigerator.
6. Scrape fat from the top and discard.
7. Refrigerate or freeze what is left - the yummy broth!
 
(I got 7 cups of chicken broth from my bird to freeze!)

No comments:

Post a Comment