I'm all about saving time - whether that be in the kitchen or at the makeup vanity. Check out my blog for some quick ways to save some time so you can stop and smell the roses - or stop and wipe the spaghetti out of your child's hair, all while still looking fabulous.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

If you give a mommy a minute, she might try the Listerine foot bath.

If you are anything like me, you have 8,000 boards on Pinterest and about 72,830 pins, but you only actually try like 12 of them. A long time ago, I was on Pinterest and saw the classic Listerine foot bath thing. My first thought was, "Who in the heck thinks these things up? Oh, I'll just pour some nasty smelling mouth wash on my feet and see what happens!"  However, since I kept seeing this pinned over and over again with claims that the "dead skin practically just falls off," (I didn't know whether to be impressed or grossed out) I thought I'd give it a whirl.
 


 I grabbed an old container and washed it out.

I held my nose as I poured in the vinegar, Listerine, hot water mixture.

 I imagine that this is what Hell smells like.

I plopped my dry and scaly feet in the tub (great mental picture, huh?) I set a timer, and then I waited.

 
Here are my results.  Please keep in mind that the before picture is completely embarrassing for me to put on the internet for people to see.  I have eczema and some really cracked, dry feet.  Soooooo not attractive.  Pride - out the window now.
 
 
 
Those are some pretty impressive results!  I will add that I did use a little stone thing to help aid in making my feet a little smoother.  However, I didn't use nearly as much elbow grease as I have used in the past.  I spent about 2 minutes using the stone after the foot bath and that was really it.  I washed my feet with some soap and water, and put on some socks.  I took the "after" picture about 2 hours after starting the foot bath.
 
Would I do this again?  Probably.  Would I do this if I were pregnant or repulsed by strong smells?  Heck no.  The smell would've made me vomit if I were pregnant.  The vinegar/Listerine combination is not an appealing smell, but the bath definitely made my feet feel nice for hours.  My feet felt cool, soft, and so clean.  The Listerine/vinegar smell did not stay with my feet either.  I felt like I had had a very long and relaxing pedicure after the foot bath, when I really only soaked my feet in this little mixture for 10 minutes.  This definitely saved me lots of time since there was no trip to the nail salon, I only had to soak for 10 minutes, and I did all of this while my kids were taking a nap. It saved me lots of money because I already had the ingredients in my house and I didn't have to pay $30 for a pedicure. 
Again...  Sorry for the disgusting "before" picture. I just have to keep it real and show you the true transformation.
 
I hope you give it a try and have some soft and smooth feet!
 
How to make this stuff:
 
Ingredients:
1. 2 cups hot water
2.  1 cup Listerine
3.  1 cup vinegar
 
Directions:
1.  Mix ingredients
2.  Soak feet for 10 minutes
3. Lightly use a stone or some other tool to aid in removing dead skin
4.  Clean feet with soap and clean water
 

1 comment:

  1. OK .. so I tried it too ... and yes my feet feel good and look good. All I need now is something as easy to get rid of the couple of verrucas I have. And no, neither bananas nor duck tape works ... I tried them !

    ReplyDelete